Pageviews past week

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Food interrupted.............it's going to be tough

Dear blog,

I need accountability, so I am putting this out there....on my public blog to be exact !
Too much wonderful food has forced me to evaluate my life and make drastic cuts and changes in the way I eat and drink....at least for a while. I also don't want to be an unhealthy looking MOTB (Mother Of the Bride). That date is creeping up on us quickly and I honestly am so excited for my daughter and future son in law!
Like everyone else in the world I have tried a few diets, and I have tried changing portion sizes as well. Since no Dr. will wire my jaws shut I have to change my ways.
 I'm not going to blame my darn thyroid anymore for all this extra insulation I have (although it's been quite practical to do so). For health reasons and for visual reasons I'm going to follow Dr. Pierre Dukan's diet or way of life. I have researched it for days, read articles, and listened to numerous videos, clips and experts talk about this French Doctor.  And frankly, there's nothing wrong with his ways. This Doctor was introduced to me by two co-workers who like me post food pictures on their social media walls every day. I noticed that their plates were mostly filled with protein and vegetables. So I asked them a few questions and after a few messages back and forth I decided that being French I should give my French neighbor a shot. With that being said I must admit that when I lived in Paris, France I was always thin, yet I ate cream sauces with each meal and had desserts every day. However, I walked everywhere, and I was younger (102 years ago) AND didn't have a thyroid that was dysfunctional. Oops I mentioned it again....
Anyway those Parisian days are long gone and so are the days before having kids and commuting by car to get the smallest item such as milk. Life has changed in many ways obviously, including the way I have been eating for the past 20 years or so. Indulging in rich foods and drinks around the world and here in the US is (was) a hobby and way of life. Unlike many who eat to live, I live to eat.
 I suppose it all started at a very young age with my mother, who was French and was a fabulous cook, she always prepared healthy new dishes that opened my nose & palate to new smells and tastes. I am lucky she was so adventurous and talented in the kitchen.
I was always taught to finish everything on my plate, and like any well raised kid, I listened.
 Except....I finished everyone else's food too......

So today is day 1 of the Dukan diet.
I'm 3 hours into it and so far so good. I've had 2 cups of coffee and fat free half & half, 2 hard boiled eggs cut into 12 pieces (looked like a lot of food on my plate) and 1 cup of low fat cottage cheese. By the way in my opinion it's always nicer to use a pretty plate and to make the food you prepare esthetically beautiful. I love food that is plated in a beautiful and appealing way.
As Dr. Dukan recommends, I also walked at a fast and sweaty pace on my treadmill for 20 minutes.
Tomorrow, I'll write again.........let's see how today goes.

2 comments:

  1. Fab,
    read your bio, you are certainly all that and more. Unique is a good thing!
    I look forward (with Daniel) to your "Fabinennesims". Everything you do you do well, love your photography, cards, food, blog etc.
    Good luck with your blog, maybe the next Food Network Star :)?
    xo
    Diane
    avoir (or something like that)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write so well. You write as intelligently as you cook my dear. I remember like it was yesterday.
    will follow this with avid curiosity.
    Bon appétit!
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete